Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dalliance Upon the Tree of Woe

In Which a Short Introduction to the World of Wrestling Holds is Given, in the Interest of Sharing With You the Sheer Tactile Bliss of Their Sobriquets


As I may have already informed you, my faithful readers, I consider myself an exemplar of masculinity. As such, there are only two competitive spectator sports that I deign to keep myself informed upon: The Sweet Science of Pugilism, and Wrestling. In striking contrast to many of today's popular competitions which are riddled with byzantine bureaucratic tomfoolery and crass consumerism, these rivalries are notable for their strict reliance upon the participants embodying the twin ideals of physical perfection and keen strategic cunning.

Today we shall focus upon the art of Wrestling and I shall save my words on Pugilism for a future posting. Wrestling is unique in it's fusion of populist Guignol theatre with supra human feats of strength. As a gift to you, I shall share with you the titles of a few of my favorite wrestling holds, may the distinct and concise poetry of their nomenclatures in hinting at the violence of their intents enliven your day.

Front Chancery

Camel Clutch

Fujiwara Armbar

Gogoplata (aka Hell's Gate)

Boston Crab

Seated Matchbook Pin

Pumphandle

Rivera Cloverleaf

Tiger Feint Crucifix Armbar

The Lady of the Lake

Skin the Cat

The Tree of Woe

As a project for you at home, try but a few of these out upon a sibling, or a bemused neighbor for a chance to feel the innate poetry of the cognomens. If you are of a more meek-minded nature, construct a sonnet utilizing as many of these christenings as possible, or perhaps a series of haiku accompanied by Water Color paintings.